Book Review: Guardians of the Wild Unicorns


Disclaimer: I have voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving a free ARC copy from the publisher via Edelweiss, thank you!

Author: Lindsay Littleson
Rating: 3/5
Genre: middle-grade, fantasy, adventure


Okay so looking how my reading blog is literally called "Unicorns-Bookshelf" it's only right for me to review some books that actually have some unicorn content in them. You see, as a kid, I was a huge horse person (kinda funny looking at how I've never actually attended horse riding lessons or anything) and all the mythical horses were a big part of it. So as soon as I saw Guardians of the Wild Unicorns I thought "Hey if that isn't something my younger self would absolutely love".

The book is about Lewis and Rhona - two eleven-year-old kids who are away on a school camp in the Scottish mountains while Lewis spots a unicorn in the distance. Convinced that he's been hallucinating, Rhona takes him to investigate and they indeed find a unicorn but it turns out it had been killed. The two friends learn about a plot to breed the unicorns and sell their horns on the black market and are determined to free the herd and save it.

This book was an okay read. There were parts that I liked and there were parts that I just didn't care about very much and also there were parts I wished there was more of. The last one was the unicorns - they were and I enjoyed the way they were portrayed aka real animals with maybe a pinch of magic, not cutesy rainbow ponies but I just didn't feel like the horse-loving me could get enough of them.

The part I didn't care about was the plot - I just wasn't invested in it as I thought I would be. It just didn't feel magical and enthralling as many children's books and movies do. I also hated Lewis at the beginning of the book for being a selfish spoilsport who did everything in his power not only to avoid having fun but also ruin it for others. He barely cared about his best friends' feelings not to mention anyone else. He did get better in time but it didn't leave me with much warmer feelings towards him.

Now, the part I enjoyed was as I mentioned the portrayal of unicorns - the actually felt like real animals, not a fairytale pasted into the modern world. I also really appreciated the mentions of heavier topics and how easy it is to assume stuff about people without knowing what's going on in their lives when we don't see them. Both main characters have issues with their family and they discover the truth about each other as the story goes on. I really appreciated that and I'm on my way to take Rhona away from her mother because she deserves better.

Overall, it's a cute, short book even though it's not very memorable. I would recommend it to all unicorn lovers out there. 

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

June WRAP-UP

Book Review: Eight Will Fall

Book Review: Girl, Serpent, Thorn